Peripheral Diabetic Neuropathy (DPN) is a long-term progressive disease in patients with type 2 Diabetes Mellitus motivated by the condition of uncontrolled blood sugar levels for a long time and less physical activity can cause symptoms such as paresthesia, hyperesthesia, and dysesthesia. Aerobic physical activity programs aim to improve and improve less than perfect conditions, Previous research has shown significant results related to the benefits of aerobic exercise. This study aimed to determine the management of physiotherapy with aerobic gymnastics in patients with type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. This research was carried out on May 1, 2023 – June 10, 2023 the research was carried out in the physiotherapy gymnasium room of the University of Muhammadiyah Surakarta. The design study was a case report that observed the benefits of aerobic exercise therapy for DM Type 2 patients with DPN complications. The sampling method used Non-Probability Sampling with Purposive Sampling techniques carried out in one of the diabetes communities in Solo by taking 1 sample in accordance with the inclusion and exclusion criteria. The conclusion showed results of giving aerobic exercise to diabetic peripheral neuropathy patients obtained results of measuring the functional muscle strength of the lower extremities using the Five Time Sit to Stand Test (FTSST) at T0: 16.19 to T6: 11.38 and F2: 14.26 showed a good time difference to the FTSST examination. The suggestion is that aerobic exercise can reduce neuropathy pain and increase lower extremity muscle strength using the Five Time Sit to Stand Test (FTSST) in patients.
Full text article
2. Sun X, Yu W, Hu C. Genetics of Type 2 Diabetes: Insights into the Pathogenesis and Its Clinical Application. BioMed Research International. 2014;2014(8):926713.
3. Mihardja L, Soetrisno U, Soegondo SJJodi. Prevalence and clinical profile of diabetes mellitus in productive aged urban Indonesians. J Diabetes Investig. 2014;5(5):507-12.
4. Shaw JE, Sicree RA, Zimmet PZ. Global estimates of the prevalence of diabetes for 2010 and 2030. Diabetes research and clinical practice. 2010;87(1):4-14.
5. Perkeni P. Konsesus Pengelolaan Dan Pencegahan Diabetes Melitus Tipe 2 Di Indonesia. Perkeni; 2015.
6. Lavery LA, Wunderlich RP, Tredwell JLJDr, practice c. Disease management for the diabetic foot: effectiveness of a diabetic foot prevention program to reduce amputations and hospitalizations. 2005;70(1):31-7.
7. Berger A, Dukes EM, Oster G. Clinical characteristics and economic costs of patients with painful neuropathic disorders. The journal of pain. 2004;5(3):143-9.
8. Mustapa A, Justine M, Mohd Mustafah N, Jamil N, Manaf HJBri. Postural control and gait performance in the diabetic peripheral neuropathy: a systematic review. BioMed Research International 2016(1):1-14
9. Bianchi L, Volpato SJAd. Muscle dysfunction in type 2 diabetes: a major threat to patient’s mobility and independence. Acta Diabetol. 2016;53:879-89.
10. Shavit-Stein E, Aronovich R, Sylantiev C, Gofrit SG, Chapman J, Dori AJPO. The role of thrombin in the pathogenesis of diabetic neuropathy. PLoS One.2019;14(7):e0219453.
11. Bohannon RW, Bubela DJ, Magasi SR, Wang Y-C, Gershon RC. Sit-to-stand test: Performance and determinants across the age-span. Isokinetics and Exercise Science. 2010;18:235-40.
12. Kluding PM, Pasnoor M, Singh R, D'Silva LJ, Yoo M, Billinger SA, et al. Safety of aerobic exercise in people with diabetic peripheral neuropathy: single-group clinical trial. Phys Ther.2015;95(2):223-34.
13. Mirtha LT, Permatahati V. The Effectiveness of Aerobic Exercise in Improving Peripheral Nerve Functions in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: An Evidence Based Case Report. Acta medica Indonesiana. 2018;50(1):82-7.
14. Naimat-Ullah MSW, Sadiq U, Zafar A, Batool AJPJoM, Sciences H. The Effect of Aerobic Exercises on Pain in Patients with Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy. Pakistan Journal of Medical & Health Sciences.2022;16(04):208-.
15. Kluding PM, Bareiss SK, Hastings M, Marcus RL, Sinacore DR, Mueller MJJPt. Physical training and activity in people with diabetic peripheral neuropathy: paradigm shift. 2017;97(1):31-43.
16. Sutkowska E, Marciniak D, Koszewicz M, Dziadkowiak E, Budrewicz S, Biernat K, et al. Validity and reliability of the Polish version of the Michigan Neuropathy Screening Instrument. World journal of diabetes. 2023;14(4):435-46.
17. Herman WH, Pop-Busui R, Braffett BH, Martin CL, Cleary PA, Albers JW, et al. Use of the Michigan Neuropathy Screening Instrument as a measure of distal symmetrical peripheral neuropathy in Type 1 diabetes: results from the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial/Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications. Diabetic medicine : a journal of the British Diabetic Association. 2012;29(7):937-44.
18. Thong ISK, Jensen M, Miró J, Tan G. The validity of pain intensity measures: what do the NRS, VAS, VRS, and FPS-R measure?. Scandinavian Journal of Pain. 2018; 18(1):99-107.
19. Husein N, Lumempouw S, Ramli Y, Herqutanto. Uji Validitas Dan Reliabilitas Montreal Cognitive Assessment Versi Indonesia (Moca-Ina) Untuk Skrining Gangguan Fungsi Kognitif. Neurona. 2010;27No 4
20. Hita-Contreras F, Zagalaz-Anula N, Martínez-Amat A, Cruz-Díaz D, Sánchez-Montesinos I, Aibar-Almazán A, et al. Sleep quality and its association with postural stability and fear of falling among Spanish postmenopausal women. Menopause.2018;25(1):62-69.
21. Whitney SL, Marchetti GF, Schade A, Wrisley DM. The sensitivity and specificity of the Timed "Up & Go" and the Dynamic Gait Index for self-reported falls in persons with vestibular disorders. Journal of vestibular research : equilibrium & orientation. Journal of Vestibular Research. 2004;14(5):397-409.
22. Wallmann HW, Evans NS, Day C, Neelly KRJHHCM, Practice. Interrater reliability of the five-times-sit-to-stand test. Home Health Care Management & Practice. 2013;25(1):13-17.
23. AbilityLab SRJUwsor-m. Rehabilitation measures database. 2020. Available from: https://www.sralab.org/rehabilitation-measures/6-minute-walk-test.
24. Powell LE, Myers AM. The Activities-specific Balance Confidence (ABC) Scale. The journals of gerontology Series A, Biological sciences and medical sciences. 1995;50a(1):M28-34.
25. Lajoie Y, Gallagher SP. Predicting falls within the elderly community: comparison of postural sway, reaction time, the Berg balance scale and the Activities-specific Balance Confidence (ABC) scale for comparing fallers and non-fallers. Archives of gerontology and geriatrics. 2004;38(1):11-26.
26. Shaid E, Bixby MB, Hirschman K, McCauley K, Naylor MDJM. The Transitional Care Model (TCM): Hospital discharge screening criteria for high risk older adults. Medsurg Nurs. 2016;16(9):606-13.
27. Amin MF, Bhowmik B, Rouf R, Khan MI, Tasnim SA, Afsana F, et al. Assessment of quality of life and its determinants in type-2 diabetes patients using the WHOQOL-BREF instrument in Bangladesh. BMC Endocr Disord. 2022;22(1):162.
28. Komalasari DR, Vongsirinavarat M, Hiengkaew V, Nualnim N. The Adaptation of Participation Scale Short Simplified Questionnaire into Indonesian Language and the Psychometric Properties in Individuals with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus with Vestibular Dysfunction. Rehabilitation research and practice. 2022(3):1-11
29. Sadosky A, Hopper J, Parsons B. Painful diabetic peripheral neuropathy: results of a survey characterizing the perspectives and misperceptions of patients and healthcare practitioners. The patient. 2014;7(1):107-14.
30. Kugbey N, Oppong Asante K, Adulai K. Illness perception, diabetes knowledge and self-care practices among type-2 diabetes patients: a cross-sectional study. BMC Res Notes. 2017;10(1):381.
31. Colenbrander A. Assessment of functional vision and its rehabilitation. Acta ophthalmologica. 2010;88(2):163-73.
32. Forbes J, Munakomi S, Cronovich H. Romberg Test. StatPearls. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing Copyright © 2023, StatPearls Publishing LLC.; 2023.
33. Podsiadlo D, Richardson S. The timed "Up & Go": a test of basic functional mobility for frail elderly persons. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 1991;39(2):142-8.
34. Shumway-Cook A, Brauer S, Woollacott MJPt. Predicting the probability for falls in community-dwelling older adults using the Timed Up & Go Test. Phys Ther. 2000;80(9):896-903.
35. Oktavianus Ch S, Novia I S, Rina K K, Adi H. Validity and reliability of World Health Organization Quality of Life – BREF to assess the quality of life in the elderly. Universa Medicina. 2007;26(1). 27–38.
36. Agrawal Y, Carey JP, Della Santina CC, Schubert MC, Minor LB. Disorders of balance and vestibular function in US adults: data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2001-2004. Archives of internal medicine. 2009;169(10):938-44.
37. Jain V, Shivkumar S, Gupta O. Health-related quality of life (hr-qol) in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. North American journal of medical sciences. 2014;6(2):96-101.