Objective: This study aims to analyze the effect of the mentorship learning method on Leopold's examination skills in midwifery students in Sidenreng Rappang Regency, Madya Pare City, Pinrang Regency, South Sulawesi.
Method: This research was conducted in August-September 2019
Sampling was done by purposive sampling technique for Level I students who are active in the Health Sciences High School Study Program D III Midwifery in the Ajateppareng Region from August to September 2019, which were divided into two groups, namely the intervention group of 40 subjects and the control group of 40 subjects, and 80 students were successfully analyzed.
Results: The results of the analysis found that the average value of Leopold pre-test skills in the intervention group was 56.32 ± 8.695 and the control group was 50.68 ± 9.683 with a p value = 0.003, while the average value of Leopold skills for post-test female students in the mentorship group was 84.70 ± 4,598 and audiovisual 76,82 ± 6,736 with p = 0,000.
Conclusion: There are differences in the mean pretest and posttest scores between the two groups of learning methods, where the method of mentorship learning is generally higher in improving Leopold examination skills in Midwifery DIII students.
KEYWORDS: Mentorship; Leopold Examination Skills
Full text article
2. Clement SA., Welch S. Virtual mentoring in nursing education: A scoping review of the literature. J Nurs Educ Pract. 2017;8(3):137, doi: 10.5430/jnep.v8n3p137.
3. Carragher J., Mcgaughey J. The effectiveness of peer mentoring in promoting a positive transition to higher education for first-year undergraduate students : a mixed methods systematic review protocol. Syst Rev. 2016:1-9, doi: 10.1186/s13643-016-0245-1.
4. Ojemeni MT., Niles P., Mfaume S., Kapologwe NA., Deng L., Stafford R., et al. A case study on building capacity to improve clinical mentoring and maternal child health in rural Tanzania : the path to implementation. 2017:1-9, doi: 10.1186/s12912-017-0252-0.
5. Mccallum J. Mentorship practice and revalidation. 2016;(July), doi: 10.7748/ns.2016.e10395.
6. Arnesson K., Albinsson G., Albinsson G. Mentorship – a pedagogical method for integration of theory and practice in higher education higher education. Nord J Stud Educ Policy. 2017;3(3):202-17, doi: 10.1080/20020317.2017.1379346
7. Gray O., Brown D. programme. 2006.
8. Erlandsson K., Doraiswamy S., Wallin L., Bogren M. Nurse Education in Practice Capacity building of midwifery faculty to implement a 3-years midwifery diploma curriculum in Bangladesh : A process evaluation of a mentorship programme. 2018;29(February):212-8, doi: 10.1016/j.nepr.2018.02.006.
9. Andrews M., Brewer M., Buchan T., Denne A., Hammond J., Hardy G., et al. Implementation and sustainability of the nursing and midwifery standards for mentoring in the UK. Nurse Educ Pract. 2010;10(5):251-5, doi: 10.1016/j.nepr.2009.11.014.
10. Neades BL., Lawson B., Watson W., Montgomery S. The Use of Phenomenological Approach in Evaluating Mentorship Preparation Program in South East Scotland. Use Phenomenol Approach Eval Mentorsh Prep Progr South East Scotl. 2017, doi: 10.4135/9781473970663.
11. Nugraheny E., Claramita M., Rahayu G., Kumara A. Feedback in the nonshifting context of the midwifery clinical education in Indonesia: A mixed methods study. Iran J Nurs Midwifery Res. 2017;21(6):628, doi: 10.4103/1735-9066.197671.
12. Sulung N., Sukarno J., Kelurahan H., Ganting M., Mandiangin K., Selayan K., et al. Efektifitas Metode Preseptor Dan Mentor Dalam. 2016.
13. Midwives S. Evaluation of a National E-Mentoring Program for Ethnically Diverse Student Nurse-Midwives and Student Midwives. 2016:759-67, doi: 10.1111/jmwh.12547.
14. Manuaba. Pengantar Kuliah Obstetri. JAKARTA: EGC; 2010.
15. Cunningham Gary at al. Obstetri Williams. JAKARTA; 2018.
16. Sutedja E., Husin F., Hilmanto D., Wirakusumah FF., Susanto H. Pengaruh Penerapan Sistem Mentor Terhadap Pencapaian Keterampilan Klinik Asuhan Persalinan Mahasiswa Akademi Kebidanan Muhammadiyah Cirebon ( Suatu Studi Eksploratif di Akademi Kebidanan Muhammadiyah Cirebon ). 2014;1(14):1-7.
17. Latifah Safriana. Pengaruh Metode Pembelajaran Role Play Terhadap Hasil Belajar Issu Etik Dalam Praktik Kebidanan Pada Mahasiswa Kebidanan Stikes Aisyiyah Surakarta. J PERMATA Indones Vol 6 , Nomor 1 , Mei 2015 ISSN 2086 – 9185. 2015;6(November):1-8.
18. Flexman AM., Gelb AW. Mentorship in anesthesia. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2011:676-81, doi: 10.1097/ACO.0b013e32834c165
19. Chopra V., Edelson DP., Saint S. Mentorship malpractice. JAMA - J Am Med Assoc. 2016:1453-4, doi: 10.1001/jama.2015.18884.
20. Jokelainen M., Tossavainen K., Jamookeeah D., Turunen H. Seamless and committed collaboration as an essential factor in effective mentorship for nursing students: Conceptions of Finnish and British mentors. Nurse Educ Today. 2013;33(5):437-43, doi: 10.1016/j.nedt.2012.04.017.
21. Andriani M, Eko GP, Indri A, Silmi Z, Gizi J, Bandung P. Media Kalender Dan Leaflet Dalam Pendidikan Gizi Terhadap Pengetahuan Dan Perilaku Makan Remaja Overweight. J Ris Kesehat Poltekkes Depkes Bandung. 2019;11(1):76-87. https://juriskes.com/ojs/index.php/jrk/article/view/650