Liposarcoma is a malignant neoplasm with adipocyte differentiation. One subtype of liposarcoma is the atypical lipomatous tumor which is macroscopic in size, while microscopically very similar to normal fat cells. Tissues that contain fat have properties that are difficult to penetrate by the fixative fluid in the process of maturation of tissues to allow for imperfect tissue processing. One of the stages of network maturation that affects the quality of preparations is clearing. Xylol is a commonly used clearing agent. Because of its dangerous and toxic nature, other clearing agents are used. Methyl salicylate is used as a clearing agent because it is non-polar that can dissolve adipose. In addition, methyl salicylates can also dissolve with dehydrating agents and can dissolve with paraffin so that they can harden tissue. The purpose of this study was to find out if there was an influence on time variations and Methyl salicylate incubation temperature as a clearing agent and know the difference with xylol using quasi-experimental methods. The sample uses micecco tissue organs that have been induced with liposarcoma tumor cells in more than 75 preparations from 5 blocks. The parameters used are interpretation quality of core and cytoplasmic color intensity preparations using an imageJ software and clarity of cell membranes by a pathologist. The results showed that there was an effect on the timing and incubation temperature of methyl salicylates on the quality of liposarcoma tissue slides and there wanoot a difference in nucleus color intensity and membranes cell compared to xylol. Research advice is to find the optimal time and temperature of methyl salicylate perfection as a clearing agent to get a good quality slide.
Full text article
2. Shin et al. The differetial imaging features of fat-containing tumors in the peritoneal cavity and retroperitoneum : the radiologic-pathologic correlation. Korean J Radiol, 11(3) :
3. Folpe AL, Yinward CY. Bone of Sft Tissue Pathology: Adiposytic Tumor. 1st Ed. Philadelphia: Saunder Elsevier;2010.p.63-71, 360-363
4. Liposarcoma. Available at : http://www.sciendirect.com. Accesed on 30 September 2021.
5. Burusapat, C. et al. ‘Atypical Lipomatous Tumor/Well-Differentiated Liposarcoma with Intramuscular Lipoma-Like Component of the Thigh’, Case Reports in Surgery, 2020, pp. 1–6. doi: 10.1155/2020/8846932
6. Adam Walter, Andrew Lisowski,. Leica Biosystem. 2019 Processing Fatty Specimens
7. Shyamala Karnam, H C Girish,Sanjay Murgod,Vaidhehi Narayan Nayak,V K Varsha and Sarita Yanduri . Rapid tissue processing technique: A novel method using methyl salicylate J Oral Maxillofac Pathol. 2018 Sep-Dec; 22(3): 443
8. Geller, S. A. and Richard E Horowitz ‘Gross Examination’, National Library Of Medicine. doi: doi: 10.1007/978-1-4939-1050-2_1. (2014)
9. Wang, H. et al. ‘FACT or PACT : A Comparison between Free-Acrylamide and Acrylamide-Based Passive Sodium Dodecyl Sulfate Tissue Clearing for whole Tissue Imaging’, 21(2). doi: 10.22074/cellj.2019.5989.Introduction.
10. Yu, T. et al. ‘Elevated-temperature-induced acceleration of PACT clearing process of mouse brain tissue’, Scientific Reports, 2017 7, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.1038/srep38848.
11. ‘A comparison of routine and rapid microwave tissue processing in a surgical pathology laboratory: Quality of histologic sections and advantages of microwave processing’, American Journal of Clinical Pathology, 115(5), pp. 703–708. doi: 10.1309/15FB-FLD1-408X-JQA3.
12. Sehrawat, P. and Kaur, M. ‘A Succinct Characterization and Comparison of Xylene and its Substitutes - Review’, 8 January 2020., pp. 8–10.
13. Khristian, E. ‘Pembuatan Sediaan Mikroskopis Otak Mencit’, Prosiding Pertemuan Ilmiah Nasional Penelitian & pengabdian masyarakat 2018 (PINTAMAS 1), 1(1), pp. 638–645.